top of page

Clam exports increased by 22% in February 2023

In the first two months of 2023, shellfish products (clams, snails, oysters, scallops) contributed nearly 2% of Vietnam's total seafood export turnover, with a value of over USD 19 million. Particularly in February, exports of shellfish increased by 39% over the same period last year to reach USD 10.4 million.


Clams are the main product among exported shellfish products, accounting for 56% with total exports of nearly USD 11 million in the first 2 months of 2023. In February, clam exports increased 22% to USD 6.4 million.


The EU accounts for a dominant proportion of Vietnam's clam import markets. Italy, Spain, and Portugal are in the top 3 largest import markets, accounting for 29%, 23%, and 15.5%, respectively. In fourth place is the US market with 13% and then the Netherlands with 7%. The US market had a breakthrough increase in February, up 245%, and the Netherlands increased by 86%.



Other shellfish species such as snails, oysters, and scallops tend to increase sharply in February and the first two months of the year. Accordingly, snail exports increased by 80%, and oysters increased by 60%, reaching USD 2.6 and 2.3 million respectively.


Steamed shellfish products (HS code 16) still account for a large proportion of 65% of export value, the remaining 35% are fresh/live/frozen/dried products.


In 2022, Vietnam's export of shellfish products reached over USD 144 million, a slight increase of 1.6%. Clams were the species with the most export value among shellfish, accounting for 66% with USD 94.6 million, down nearly 8% compared to 2021. Snail exports accounted for 11% with USD 16.6 million, scallops accounted for 10% with nearly USD 15 million.


(VASEP)



bottom of page